Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Hallelujah, Hallelujah

Top threeeeeee! I can't believe we're finally here. Who would have ever thought Casey would slip under the radar and make it to the final three, seriously? Bad perm and denim on denim and all. THIS is American Idol!

So tonight our top three are singing two songs. One is their choice, one is the judges' choice. I guess they didn't bother to unfreeze Clive Davis this year for him to make a pick? Even though I think every year he picks something like "I Believe I Can Fly" for someone. So in short: not really missing Clive this year.

Casey's up first. He chose "OK, It's All Right With Me" by Eric Hutchinson. I have no idea what this song sounds like, or who Eric Hutchinson is. He's wearing a shirt that looks like bad 70's drapes under his blazer, woof. I don't actually hate this. It's okay, but not really fabulous . But obviously, Casey's not my favorite, so I don't LOVE it. The judges all hated it, and you can tell by the lack of boos coming from the audience that they all agree with them.

Crystal's up next. She chose "Come to My Window" by Melissa Ethridge. OK, I love this song, and I think it's a good choice for Crystal and she'll nail it, but it's been a little overdone on this show. That said, I'm expecting something great from her. It's predictably awesome. A little subdued, but that's pretty much Crystal. She's so radio ready, the competition is just moot at this point. She sounds the best on the bridge. That's my favorite part of the song anyway LOL. The judges' feedback = kind of weak. Is everyone just phoning it in now? Even Crystal and Casey seemed over it.

Lee's in the pimp spot, as he should be. Sidebar: Brenna and I went back to try to pinpoint when we fell in love with Lee, and we determined it was the week he sang "Treat Her Like a Lady"--I know you were all dying to know that. ANYWAY, Lee looks like he doesn't quite know what to make of all the women screaming at him, which is adorable. He's singing Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Simple Man." AWESOME song choice. Really really dope. Go, Lee. And I just saw a sign that said "Lee is DeWyze Choice" and it made me LOL. This is phenominal. He looks like a total rock star right now. Raves all around from the judges. Hell yes, Lee.

Round two is judges' choice. The spoilers for these songs have been all over the internet for a week now, but I'll pretend like I didn't know anything. Last week, Casey went to Texas. And got his texted song choice in front of an AT&T store. Nice placement, show. Randy and Kara picked the song for Casey and they chose "Daughters" by John Mayer. Wouldn't this song totally have been appropriate for Big Mike? LOL. This is actually the best I think his voice has sounded in a while. He doesn't look totally comfortable, but he sounds pretty good, I think.

Up next is Crystal's trip home to Ohio. She also got her text in front of an AT&T store, from "Ellen", and she picked "Maybe I'm Amazed" by Paul McCartney. Good song! Her voice sounds really pretty at the beginning, really clear and pure and not all raspy. I know that's her thing and her sound but it's nice to hear her open up with something a little sweeter. No guitar for her this round. Wow, she is killing this. Good choice, Ellen, and good job Crystal!!! I mean, seriously, if the final two isn't Lee and Crystal, there's something wrong.

Finally, we get to see Lee back home in Illinois. And let me guess, he got his text from Simon in front of an AT&T store? That's so annoying, gawd. Anyway, Simon picked Jeff Buckley's "Hallelujah," which is interesting, since it's already been done once this season, and has been done many times over the course of the show. Come on, Lee. Let's do this. Knock it out of the park. Wow, he gets a backup choir??? Awesome. I love love love love this. He changes the song juuuust enough to make it his. I may or may not have had an emotional experience watching this performance. I'm not going to disclose that. OMG and Lee's totally crying. See, it's shit like this that makes me keep coming back to this show, no matter how much I bitch about it.

So obviously, Lee and Crystal deserve to be in the final two. I mean, mad props to Casey for getting as far as he did. I didn't hate him, but his time is up. I'm going to vote for the first time this season. LEE FTW. Brenna will have your results tomorrow night which include BIEBER FEVER, hahahaha. Yessssss. Nice job, tonight, gang!

5 comments:

Brenna said...

Is it too early to compare Hallelujah to Bridge Over Troubled Water? Because I'm pretty sure I just had a religious experience the likes of which I haven't had since 2003. OMFG LEE CALL ME.

rlk7m said...

After Hallelujah, they should've started with the fireworks and confetti and tears and old contestants all wearing white. And assuming the finale is Crystal and Lee, where does this rank in terms of best Idol finale? Clay/Ruuuuuuuuuuben?

Leanne said...

Okay, I keep reading Lee's last name and it my head, it's pronounced "DeWeezy". Like Movin' on Up' George and Weezy.

Am I going to have to tune into Idol for the last two shows because Brenna and Randi BOTH just compared Lee to Clay? We all know the Clay/ Ruuuuuben debacle is why I don't watch Idol aymore...

Lindsay said...

Leanne, sometimes we call him Lee Deweezy too hahahaha!!

Brenna said...

In my head he is totally Lee DeWeezy.