Tuesday, May 4, 2010

When Harry met Lee.

Warning, yinz guys. I'm a total dork when it comes to the standards, Mr. Francis Sinatra in particular. So what's better than Sinatra night on Idol? Sinatra night PLUS Harry Connick Jr. Hello, Harry. This... is American Idol.

So, HCJ is here not only to mentor the Idols tonight but to arrange their songs for the week AND play the piano for them. This is all kinda awesome, especially because 3/5 of this top 5 needs some assistance in being creative. HCJ is kinda funny too. And he's a Saints fan, and since I was a bandwagon Saints fan (or more so just a Drew Brees fan) I feel a connection with him. Did you guys ever see the report when HCJ met Drew? It was adorable. Hey, I found it for you to watch. :)

Aaron is up first, and HCJ is already an awesome mentor. Aaron is singing Fly Me to the Moon in the style of Tripp van der Bilt. What? That's just his wardrobe? Oh, ok. This would be good if it was my high school chorus concert in 1999, but it's not, it's American Idol, so it's dreadfully boring and basically all around sucky. Randy & Ellen kinda like it, and Kara references last week, but to be honest I can't even remember what he sang last week.

Casey is next, and his hair is all slicked back, which kinda grosses me out. He's singing Blue Skies. Seriously guys, HCJ is hilarious. Someone give him a TV show. Once Casey starts singing, I think he's trying to make love to the camera in a weird Constantine sort of way. He loses the guitar tonight and looks super uncomfortable without it. Ouch, this is bad. Like, really bad. So bad that Kara compares his voice to a lamb.

Crystal, our lone female remaining, is singing Summer Wind, which I'm not terribly familiar with. She looks fabulous though, all dolled up in a black lacey gown, and she sounds absolutely fantastic. This might be one of my favorite performances of hers, and the first time in awhile I've been completely transfixed by her again. These songs are all so good that they can make anyone sound good, but only someone great can make it sound interesting. The judges are all a little iffy, but I say well done, Crystal. Loved it.

Oh good Lord, Mike is wearing a fedora. OF COURSE he's wearing a fedora. He is so predictable. He's singing The Way You Look Tonight, aka the song everyone knew he would do. $10 says Simon busts out the wedding singer comparison. OMG, this is so cheesy. I'm so over Mike & ready for him to go home. I'm serious, if I wasn't blogging I'd be fast forwarding to Lee right now. But I owe this much to you, dear readers (all four of you). Apparently I'm deaf and blind though, because the judges all gush all over him.

And in the pimp spot tonight, ladies and gentlemen, one Mr. Lee DeWyze. He's singing That's Life, and.... oh.... my..... God.... wow. That was so awesome. I can't even type because I'm enjoying this entirely too much. The judges love it, and HCJ loves it, and you can tell there's a lot of man love going on between Lee & HCJ right now, which makes me think things that aren't exactly appropriate to write on this family friendly blog. ;)

So, to wrap up tonight: Aaron should be auditioning for High School Musical 985. I forgot about Casey already. Crystal looked stunning & proved she's already too good for all of this. Mike made me want to actually watch a performance by the musical troupes at Kennywood because they'd actually be less annoying. And watch out Cookster, Blake, Elliott & Daughtry: you've got some serious competition in the mind of one MSHBB blogger.

Tomorrow: HCJ and Lady Gaga. Potential to knock the Ke$ha show off its best results show ever pedestal. Linds will take that one for you. Sweet dreams of HCJ and jazz. ;)

4 comments:

rlk7m said...

I don't know...the Kennywood performers are pretty high on the annoying scale...

BrassyLibrarian said...

Lady Gaga is performing tomorrow? I must tune in....I'm in WV! We only saw Casey & Crystal. I don't know what the judges were thinking...Crystal was awesome as per usual.

Leanne said...

OMG those Kennywood performers were always so awful! Show muct have been pretty bad if you'd rather watch them sing Debbie Gibson songs and do jazz squares for a half hour...

Lindsay said...

Mad props for a Kennywood reference in this blog posting...lmao.