Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Stools of Safety, or: grossest post title ever

So we're down to 20 girls and 20 guys and tonight we're seeing 10 of the girls in what Ryan is calling a "Sudden Death" round? Okay then. Has this show followed the same format at all since Simon left? THIS is American Idol.

This is live, I guess? From Vegas? I get so confused. Keith is so hawt and Nicki's hair looks terrible. Also Jimmy Iovine is going to be the tie breaker this evening in the event of a split vote. 10 girls will sing, five go through. Ryan introduces the 10 girls who are singing for survival tonight and so many of them have long convoluted first AND last names, I can't catch them all in time.

Jenny Beth Willis is up first. She is 17 and we have never seen her before. She has a southern accent so probably she'll be country? Look at me stereotyping. Oh, and shocker, she is performing a country song LOL. She is wearing a terrible, TERRIBLE tacky black and pink dress that looks like an 80s prom dress. Sounds like mediocre karaoke. I don't even know the song. The performance is not worthy of the top 40, so I have a feeling that she's gone.

After the break we have Tenna Torres. I spelled her name correctly but it's pronounced like Tina. I think this is the girl who went to Camp Mariah. Oh yeah, it is. She's way oversinging right out of the gate. I can't recognize this song either. Also I think she's wearing a bad wig. I am not a fan of Tenna. She's wearing a too tight dress and it looks like someone threw up sequins all down the one arm of it. I think Tenna has potential but she is trying SO hard here. Settle down, girl. HA, and Nicki tells her to lose the hair. Word, Nicki. The judges liked it way better than I did.

Up next is Adriana Lotonio and she's from Alaska. That's pretty interesting. I want to visit there so bad. She's 17 and super pretty. We haven't seen her yet either. I like her voice a lot, it has a raspy quality that I'm drawn to usually. Again, I don't know the song. Sorry you guys. It's some power ballad type thing. She needs some help from the stylist, she's wearing something that looks like either a bad bridesmaids dress or prom dress. The red is good though. I like Adriana. The judges do too.

Commercials. After the break, we have Brandy Hotard. Hey, BRANDAAAAAY, you're a FIIIINE GIRL. She's 26 and is a psych nurse, which, good lord. Imagine what Hollywood Week was like for her. Brandy is cute and southern. Again, with the country song that I don't know. This is nice enough, kind of boring, but she sounds good. Nothing to write home about though. Nicki calls it "pageant delivery" which is exactly right. That's a perfect way to describe it. Sometimes when Nicki's not insane she makes a lot of sense.

Shubha Vedula is 17--I think everyone is 17 this season? She's cute as a button, I don't think I saw her audition. She's playing piano and doing a slowed down, jazzed up version of "Born This Way", finally a song I know. Oh wait, now she's done with the piano and she jumps up to sing the rest in a pair of skintight silver pants. Mariah has the most awkward absolutely frozen smile on her face watching this. It's not great. She should have stayed at the piano maybe. Keith was confused by the performance and gets a round of hearty boos for his trouble.

So we're halfway through and probably Adriana is safe so far, and Tenna even though I didn't love it, because the judges did.

After the break, we have Kamaria something--I can't catch it from Ryan or from Kamaria herself. She apparently has done backing vocals for "Diddy Dirty Money", which I couldn't help from laughing out loud at as I typed it. She's singing "Mr Know It All" and it does not start out good. Wow, and doesn't continue good either. Her boobs are just all over out of this fuschia sequined bustier that's she's wearing under a white blazer and black and white houndstooth pants. LESS IS MORE, KAMARIA. This performance is the worst so far. NEXT.

Next is Kree Harrison, contestant possessing the "what the hell kind of name is blank" name this season. Kree looks like that actress from Sweet Home Alabama that has the baby in the bar when Reese Witherspoon is like, You have a baby! In a bar! Kree is wearing an outfit that looks like what I wear when I run errands. A giant top over jeggings. Her voice is nice, but I seriously can't get past her outfit. She's doing "Up To The Mountain" and it's lovely. The judges all love it and her.

Now we have Angela Miller, who is one of my early favorites. Angela is 18 and from Massachusetts. She talks about watching the season 2 finale, and I don't want to talk about our respective ages when we watched that finale. Angela is singing "Nobody's Perfect" which is a Jessie J song that I don't know. She totally kills it. Her stage presence is awesome. Nicki goes on and on about her original performance, which was the shit, but she can't repeat that all the time. This performance was awesome.

Isabelle is up after the commercials. I liked her a lot in her first audition but I'm kind of giving her the side eye now that she's only using one name. You aren't Cher, or Madonna. Come on. I can identify with her struggles with being overweight though, and I bet other people will too. Her dress is TOO short and TOO tight, though. I gotta say though, man, her voice knocks my socks off. I would love to be able to open my mouth and sing like that. Randy calls it old fashioned, which I tend to agree with, I think her voice can handle more modern/contemporary things.

Amber Holcumb is in the pimp spot. She got cut last year but now is back. I feel like that's the theme of this season. They've run out of people who haven't auditioned once by now and so we're getting all the rejects. Is she really singing "My Funny Valentine"? Talk about old fashioned. I mean, even she sounds bored singing it. Her voice is really good but this song is stupid. Like two girls picked something contemporary that I've actually heard of. Anyway, they all love her.

So judgment time. My picks for who gets through are: Angela, Kree, Isabelle, Adriana and Tenna. Let's see if I could be a judge on this show! The judges are unanimous, so sorry Jimmy I, you don't get a vote tonight. After a quick recap of everyone, we're ready for results. Jenny Beth: out. Not surprised. Next is Brandy: out. So far I'm 2 for 2. These results are super awkward. Tenna is next. And she's in. Called it. I thought her performance was just okay though. Here's Kree. She's growing on me even though her name is, whoa. And she's in. Go Kree!

Why are they doing this out of order from the performances? Isabelle is next. Whoa, she gets cut. I didn't see that one coming. Okay, I missed one. So probably Amber is in her place. Angela is next. Come on, she's a shoo in. Clearly, she's in. Two more spots to fill. After commercials.

So after the break we have Adriana, Shubha, Kamaria and Amber. I say probably Adriana and Amber but let's see. Kamaria is up next, there is no way they put her through. That performance was terrible. She'll get cut, the next girl will get through, and then it'll come down to the last two for the last spot. Kamaria is cut. So up next is Amber, and she's getting in, so it'll come down to Adriana and Shubha. And yep, Amber's through.

Now we come down to Adriana and Shubha, two super sweet, adorable teenagers. I think Adriana should make it but here we go. If I had to get bad news, I'd want Keith Urban to be the one to give it to me, I think. He has such a melodic, soothing voice. I'm crazy mostly, guys. And Shubha is gone, with Adriana taking the last spot. Man I was so close. I really thought they'd let Isabelle through. And they finished a minute early! Go Seacrest!

Tomorrow night we do this all over again with the first group of guys. Brenna will take you through all the highs and lows!


No comments: