Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Do you believe you can soar?

Readers, are you prepared to be INSPIRED? If I weren't pregnant, I would totally be drinking every time someone utters the words "dream", "believe", "achieve", or any of these other cheesy phrases. At least we're only packing inspiration into an hour. Nothing will ever top Michael Johns belting "We are the Champions" two years ago on this night. THIS is American Idol.

Aaron Kelly looks positively anorexic tonight, you guys. Don't most contestants gain weight on this show? See: McPhee, Katharine. Montage o' Alicia Keys to set us off. She's the mentor tonight, for some random reason. I don't really think of her when I think of inspirational songs, but whatever. Maybe Chicago was busy.

Casey's up first this week, singing "Don't Stop" by Fleetwood Mac. Seriously, Casey. Terrible song. I love Fleetwood Mac and Stevie Nicks, but come on. OMG what is that backup singer wearing??? It looks like she raided Siobhan's closet. We need profiles on the backup singers! Casey's good but boring. I only liked him that one time. It sounds exactly like the original though, wonder which judge says it's copycat? At least this song was upbeat and not too sappy. HAHA, Simon tells him he did nothing new, and sounded like the original version. I should have guessed it would be him.

Hey, it's Lee!!! CALL US LEE. Aww, he used to be a paint salesman. He's singing "The Boxer" by Simon and Garfunkel this evening, and Ryan is making him tell us why it inspired him. Ryan, newsflash: NO ONE cares. We just want to see him sing and maybe let him hug us. LOL technical difficulties, awesome. This is an interesting choice, I don't think anyone's ever done this song on here before. I always think Lee sounds great because I'm a hugef an, but I don't know if this is going to send anyone running to the phones. Solid performance, but not my favorite of his. Wow, the judges all love it! Good for Lee!

Tim's up next. Raise your hand if you're shocked that Tim is in the final SEVEN. I'm raising my hand, but I gotta say, he's been growing on me a little bit. He's singing "Better Days" by the Goo Goo Dolls. Excellent song choice for Tim. Sidebar, Alicia is kind of a fierce mentor. I'll give Idol an A for that one. Tim sounds pretty great right now. The "ohohoh" part in the middle was a little weird, but seriously, I think Tim's one of the ones you can say has actually grown and gotten better and better. OK, apparently I'm an idiot because everyone hated it, LOL. So probably Tim is gone this week, yes?

Time for Skinny Aaron! Seriously guys, look how skinny and pale his face is when he's with Alicia. And his eyebrows are like trying to eat his face. Yikes. Oh Lord, he's singing "I Believe I Can Fly"--OF COURSE. Anyone playing a drinking game, just chug an entire beer through this whole song. I mean, what can I say? Aaron sounds exactly the same every week, pretty much. I won't say he doesn't have a great voice, because I think he does and he really has talent, but he's just not my cup of tea. He's not going to win, so it's time to just start eliminating people two at a time or something so we can get to the real showdown.

After the commercials, we've got Siobhan. Ugh, she's singing that Whitney/Mariah song. I hate this song and it's really hard to sing. Dammit Siobhan. I hope she pulls it together this week, I've been worried about her. Who in the hell styled her tonight? Her dress looks like Tinkerbell, and she has shit all through her hair and winding up her legs. I'm not on board with this performance. She kind of sounds all over the place. I think Siobhan might be winding down her time here, guys, and I'm sad about that.

Wow, apparently Mike started making a list of songs that he would sing if he ever got on this show. Like an actual list that he wrote down. I always joke and say, oh, if I were on this show, I would totally sing this. But seriously Mike? OK, he's doing "Hero", that song with the guy from Nickelback and someone else. You know, the one from Spiderman. He's doing a decent job with it, I suppose, but I'm over Mike. Also I'm surprised he didn't do something that he dedicated to his baby. Seriously. The judges give him a mixed bag of reviews.

In the pimp spot again is Crystal. Who apparently maybe wanted to quit the show, or something? I've read conflicting reports on this topic, so I'm not sure what actually happened, but she's here tonight, so that's all we need to know. She's singing "People Get Ready", sans any instruments, for the first time. She starts out acapella, and it's already awesome. We're pretty much said all we can say about Crystal here, I think. She's recording studio ready, radio ready, all that jazz. OMG, she starts crying at the end of her song before she can even finish. Wow, that kind of got me choked up. Brava, Crystal.

So not too cheesy of a night, surprisingly. Bottom three could be Tim, Aaron and Siobhan, or swap out one of the guys for Big Mike. Tune in tomorrow for two effing hours of Idol Give Back and to find out who gets the boot, which we'll reveal in our lovely special gchat conversation blog entry. :) Good night!!

6 comments:

Koz said...

Has Kara's boyfriend ever been in the bottom 3?

Leanne said...

You're pregnant???? How did I miss that??? CONGRATULATIONS to you and Adam!!!!!!

And now I need to go read the rest of the blog...

Leanne said...

Okay, now my actual comment. I was watching Glee last night and was thinking about how Mercedes auditioned for AI and didn't even make it past the producers. HOW IN THE HELL could Aaron make onto the show and someone with the pipes of Mercedes not even get to Simon, Paula and Randy???? I mean, thank goodness b/c she rocks my sock on Glee, but still. That's messed up, Dawg...

BrassyLibrarian said...

I really hope Sioban goes home tonight. I'm tired of her ninny ways and her backtalk to the judges after her critique. She's a whiny brat & Simon pretty much rolls his eyes every time she talks. I think he can't stand her. But he's in love with Bowersox.

And Matt brings up a good point...has Kara's bf ever been in the bottom 3? Watch a sleeper like that take over and win this damn thing.

Lindsay said...

I don't think Casey has ever been B3, now that I think about it. My mom would be ecstatic if Casey won. :P

Koz said...

I too hate Crazy Glasses (and have for pretty much the whole time).

We watched last night on DVR and FFWed through a lot of the talk. What back talk did she have for Simon this time? Was she mad because he thought they were leaves and not butterflies on her, as usual, hideous outfit?