Monday, February 25, 2008

Oscar Night - Red Carpet Review

Time out from all Idol, all the time, to discuss one of my favorite nights of the year: Oscar night. More specifically, the two hour madness that is E!’s Red Carpet Coverage, hosted by our favorite workaholic Ryan Seacrest and Guiliana “I’m so cute because I married Bill the original Apprentice, from when the show was actually really good and I really enjoyed watching it, and I kind of freaked out a little when Erin met Apprentice Bill because he’s just so awesome” Rancic.

If I had a laptop, I would have live-blogged. It was that good. However, I didn’t want to be chained to my PC all night, so you’re going to have to rely on my memory. A few quick hit observations:
  1. How inappropriate can Seacrest be? Is he so repressed on Idol, being forced to ask questions like “How will you lose your musical theatricality?” that he feels the need to ask the hard-hitting questions at the red carpet? Is that why he asked Jessica Biel if she was going to breastfeed? Inappropriate. On many levels.
  2. I want there to be a TV show starring Seacrest, James MacAvoy, and his lovely date whose name I do not know. James MacAvoy may have become one of my favorite people ever, based solely on his red carpet interview. Dude is hilarious and has a wicked awesome accent. His lady friend was just as amusing. And this is where they get bonus points – they made Seacrest seem like he had a personality. I think getting a few beers in all of them would make it even more hysterical. E! You’ll give anyone a show. Jump on board with this.
  3. I have no words for the Gary Busey-Jennifer Garner fiasco. I watched it live. I was honestly scared for Jennifer Garner’s safety. Her daughter is way too precious and can not lose her mother to the craziness that is Gary Busey. For those of you who missed it, video is below. I really don’t think J-Garn will ever interview with Seacrest again.



All in all, I'd give Seacrest a C+. Not enough crazy to make it really entertaining. Maybe they should hire Gary Busey on as a sidekick next year.

No comments: