Tuesday, May 6, 2008

But I did not shoot his deputy.

Hey guys, Lindsay here. It's my last time blogging from our house in North Carolina. As of tomorrow night, Bren and I will officially be residing in the same state. WOO! Our house is totally packed up with the exception of an air mattress, the TV and the computer, because let's face it, I couldn't miss Idol tonight.

Tonight is Rock and Roll Hall of Fame night, and I'm still not really sure what that means. I guess just songs by artists who've been inducted into the HoF--which is probably a ton of songs, so just a "sing whatever you want!" kind of night is coming up, I'm thinking. Hey, there's Luke! Man, Luke Menard would have been awesome these past few weeks. I could totally see his cheesy hot ass getting into Neil Diamond week. During the RnR HoF video package, we see Ike Turner, which clearly means Syesha's going to sing "Proud Mary", right? I am so good at this show.

The Cookster's up first singing "Hungry Like the Wolf" by Duran Duran. If I'm not mistaken, wasn't that the song used in the scene in the movie "Old School" when Andy Dick was teaching that blow job class? My speakers are packed, so I can't You Tube this to be certain. Can someone out there confirm or deny? Thanks.

Anyway, the Cookster's okay. He's not doing anything special with the arrangement which is something we've come to expect, but I guess you can't do that every week. I'd still rather listen to the Cookster on an okay day than to Archuleta on his best day. The judges give it a "just okay" label, which is exactly right.

Syesha's up second, doing the predictable "Proud Mary." What did I say? I own this show. Or else I'm really sad. Apparently, this song has been covered over 100 times. Damn. And Syesha being Syesha of course has to take it on. I mean, she's already done Whitney, Mariah (though they've all done that) and Fantasia, so might as well round it out with Tina. The whole thing is very showgirl-Ike and Tina go to Broadway. Randy tells her she was "in the zone", and Syesha shows us that she's taken on Brooke's personality by interrupting the judges. Shut uuuuuuuuuup. Simon tells her it was a bad impersanation of Tina, which, word. Next.

Hey it's Carly! I miss her and Gramps so bad. Jason's up doing "I Shot the Sheriff"--is he shitting us with this? Bren forwarded me an interview with Jason this week where he basically told the interviewer he was ready to go home. I am so not down with that. So I'm already biased going into this performance, and it's predictably terrible. I have to say, I've never seen a performance quite like this on Idol, though. The judges all pretty much hate it, and seem extra vicious. I wonder if they read his interview. I have a feeling Jason's going down this week.

In the pimp spot for like the sixth time this season is little David. Is it me, or does he look younger every week? He looks like he's 11 this week. What the hell are those pants he's wearing? Oh sorry, he's doing "Stand by Me", but I got so distracted by his outfit I forgot to mention that. I am not a huge little David fan, but this is probably the best we've seen from him in a while. The judges have been all over his shit the past few weeks, but I don't think the performances have been up to snuff with the critiques. Tonight he is pretty good though. During the critique, Simon gets in a dig at Jason, which I think is kind of effed up--leave the criticism of the previous contestant WITH the previous contestant, Cowell.

The Cookster comes out for round two in some kind of sparkly blazer/shiny shirt combo. Yikes. I'm a little worried for the Cookster this week, actually. He's in the Daughtry spot right now--the rocker guy left in the top four, and we all know what happened two years ago. Not that Daughtry's doing that badly, but still. He's doing "Baba O'Reilly" by The Who, which is a song that for years I totally thought was just called "Teenage Wasteland." Whatever, I'm an airhead. I would totally buy a ticket to see the Cookster in concert. I heart this guy so bad. He's growing some sort of playoff hockey beard, I see. I bet it's for Pittsburgh. LET'S GO PENS! The judges all love it, and I hope people don't think he's safe and let him go the way of Chris.

The guys from Rascal Flatts are in the audience. Have they even had a new song in the past two years? Out comes Syesha in some kind of crazy gold dress singing "A Change is Gonna Come"--I swear someone has done this on Idol already. I don't feel like looking that up--anyone know? I am so bored by Syesha. She really has a beautiful voice, and I'm sure she's a lovely person, but she just leaves me cold. After Randy gives her the critique, she proves once and for all that she's taken on Brooke's personality and she loses her shit all over the stage. God, STOP CRYING. She seriously can't even speak. WTF? I'm over this. Fast forward.

Jason's doing Bob Dylan's "Mr. Tambourine Man." I feel like this should get us back to classic Jason, the Jason we fell in love with during "Hallelujah" a zillion weeks back. No dice. It's boring, blah and he forgets the words at one point. Jason's totally checked out, man. He's probably all, This isn 't what I thought this show was gonna be...where's the free weed? I heard Seacrest keeps the good stuff in his dressing room. You know what I would have loved to hear him sing? Time in a Bottle. Man I bet he could rock the Croce. OK, I've now totally derailed. Simon tells him he should pack his suitcase. I kind of hope he's right.

Oh. Ma. Gawd. Little David is closing out the night with "Love Me Tender" by Elvis?! This is totally going to be deja vu from when Kevin Covais sang "Part Time Lover", isn't it? Why do these teenage boys insist on singing these songs? He's predictably good, but boring. I think he should have been behind the piano instead of on that stool. I mean, there's really nothing left to say about this kid. He's totally going to be in the final two, and you either love or you hate that, so he could just phone it in tonight and next week and still be gravy. Simon tells him he "crushed" the competition tonight, and I don't know if I agree with that. I mean, Jason, yeah, maybe. But the Cookster brought it on his second song, and Syesha was still decent if boring. She was no less boring than little David.

Anyway, obviously either Syesha or Jason will be going tomorrow, and I would say that my money is on Jason, but all the nasty criticism may have put his fans into overdrive. Bren will blog your results tomorrow night. Cheers!

3 comments:

Brenna said...

Confirmed. I could not take the Cookster seriously because I was too busy laughing at the mental image of Andy Dick and that song.

Unknown said...

What the F*CK, Linny?! I can't believe you fall into the abhorable category of folks who think "Baba O'Reilly" is either "Teenage Wasteland" or "the theme to CSI: Miami". The only positive about Amber Alert taking this one on is that he didn't screw it up as bad as I thought he would. I need to listen to my Who albums and forget this ever happened.

Unknown said...

Corrections because I forgot to spellcheck:

"Baba O Riley"

and, thanks to Bren's catch, it's the theme to CSI:NY.