Thursday, January 15, 2009

Weekly Recap: Phoenix, Kansas City Auditions

Well, folks, we are officially back. Ryan's hair is still perfectly coiffed; Randy still makes so sense when he opens his mouth; Simon is still bored as hell with this job; and Paula is still bat-shit crazy. But hey, we have a new judge! We have half naked girls! We have the requisite freaks and sob stories! Ladies and gentlemen, this.......................... is American Idol.

The good:
  • Guys, I love Kara. Lindsay & I conversed during Tuesday's show that we probably have a girl crush developing on the chick. She is a welcome addition to our already crazy panel of judges, and I kind of loved her girl power stance with Paula during Bikini Girl's audition. More on that later.
  • The opening montage on Tuesday night. Clay Aiken before and after. And then after again, with the weirdo "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me" dude. Chris Daughtry getting his golden ticket. Ryan Seacrest and his frosted tips getting crushed between two Studdards. Carrie Underwood, pre-Tony Romo. Elliott and his mom. Cookster saving season 7 from the depths of Sanjaya-like-suckiness... oh man, I'm going to cry. I love this show so much.
  • They picked a post-haircut photo of the Cookster for the audition backdrop. THANK GOD. I couldn't stand looking at the skeevy bangs for the next few weeks.
  • Stevie Knight (she's got the Katharine McPhee factor without being so obnoxious) and Alex Wagner-Trugman (referred to as "Elliott Jr." from now on) were my favorites from Phoenix.
  • Overall, though, Kansas City was much more impressive than Phoenix. We had an avalanche of sob stories to put ourselves through, but gasp! They were actually great singers! My favorites were Danny "I just tragically lost my wife" Gokey and his BFF Jamar Rogers, Lil "A tornado blew away my apartment but I still have a gorgeous husband and beautiful children" Rounds, and India "My sister and I should have our own TV show" Morrison, even though her voice was no where near others in this episode.
The bad:
  • Bikini Girl. Guys, what the hell. I'm not even going to perpetuate her 15 minutes of fame by discussing her further. I did, however, love Kara's spunk. Kara was right... that girl was terrible, and I really hope she's not going to be a focal point of Hollywood Week. Or, if she is, I hope her breakdown is front and center. 
  • I'm already sick of the bad auditions. Thankfully, they did tone down the freaks aspect this year, and the bad auditions weren't as mean-spirited as in the past. But when you show such a small percentage of the people who actually won a golden ticket, it's still painful to sit through the people who clearly have no shot.
  • People who tell us they're the greatest singers you've ever heard before they even step in the room. We know by now they will be awful. Lil Rounds, who has an incredible voice, was amazed when the judges told her so. That is talent, that is class, and that is exactly who we should be watching on this God-forsaken show.
  • And let me step on my soapbox for a second: I fully get the mean-spirited nature of the audition rounds. And no one forced these people to embarrass themselves on national television. However, is it really necessary to show an absolutely atrocious high school girl being humiliated? Producers, did you go to high school? Do you know how terrible teenagers are? The poor 17-year-0ld multi-colored-hair girl who crashed and burned during her audition is going to be tormented today at school. I find that a little repulsive. 
The Castro:
  • Yes, kiddies, there is another Castro brother! And he's just as stoned as Jason! We are forced to sit through a painful reminder than Jason was even on this show to begin with, and then another, more painful segment in which the Castro brothers make Seacrest even more awkward than he usually is. And then Castro 2.0 actually makes it through to Hollywood. Please, judges. I beg of you. Do not unleash another Castro on the world. I don't think we're strong enough to handle it twice.
And, with that, we're off running. Who will be the next Cookster, and who will go the way of KLC? Only time will tell. :)

GO STEELERS!!!!!!

2 comments:

Bana said...

I'll take one for the team and handle The Castro twice. Ahem, I mean, GO EAGLES!

Jessica Padgett said...

This is just to say, that I already hate the word "chops" as I think I heard it about 10 times already.

Glad you guys are back!