Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Some people wait a lifetime.

We here at MSHBB headquarters are actually really excited for tonight. First of all, we generally approve of this year's top 10. Second, the theme is not the dreaded "year you were born" theme - wherein someone would inevitably sing Waterfalls because they were born in 1995 and make us really, really depressed. No, this year we're kicking things off with songs previous Idols have either covered or released. I hope someone sings Sorry 2004. THIS... is American Idol, season 12. Finally.

Um, so only three of the judges come out to start. WHERE IS NICKI?! She is apparently stuck in traffic, which is absurd, because I know traffic is bad in LA, but you kind of have to be live on television at a certain time. Ryan jokes with the judges about draining the gas from her car, and Mariah has a look that suggest she actually might have. 

Curtis is up first, and he wants to be like Luther Vandross. He's singing I Believe, Fantasia's coronation song. He's also wearing a blazer that looks like it was made from the von Trapp family's leftover curtains. It's not that great. The judges agree. Randy, after misguidedly liking his jacket, suggests that he doesn't get into the habit of doing the same thing every week. I agree, but I don't think he's going anywhere anytime soon.

Janelle is next and sits down with Ryan to tell a very long story about meeting some guy from Rascal Flatts at their hotel. She wants to do real country, not "watered-down" pop country, which means I won't like her at all. She's going to sing a song called Gone, which Scotty #oldladyvote McCreary sang during season 10. I'm surprised she didn't pick a Carrie song, but since I sort of like her, I guess that's watered-down country. Anyway, she sounds pretty good through most of the song, and she definitely has great stage presence. Nicki has finally arrived, and she is wearing a black hood with sunglasses that have cat ears on them, because she clearly didn't have time for makeup and wardrobe. The judges didn't love her song choice but all praise her stage presence and personality.

BTW, the new stage this year is FANCY. Remember back in Kelly's day when they basically sang in front of a giant TV screen that basically showed screen savers?

Devin, aka Hispanic Clay Aiken, wants to be like Josh Groban and Michael Buble, aka he wants to be this year's #oldladyvote. He's singing a Carrie song I'm not familiar with, but predictably it's a ballad. He's also wearing a printed blazer. Were they on sale at Nordstrom or something? It's quite underwhelming, to be honest. He sounds fine, but it's just... blah. Keith says it sounded like he had no confidence, which I also agree with. Oh good, Nicki got makeup during the commercial! She loved it. Randy calls it safe. Mariah agrees.

Ryan teases us before the commercial that Angie is singing the song Kelly sang during her top 4 week, and I'm disappointed in my lack of memory of this, because I take pride in remembering those sort of things. Jimmy tells her that he sometimes feels like he's watching a beauty pageant with her. Yikes. Oh! She's singing I Surrender. I looooooved this when Kelly did it. I hope Angie kills this one. Oh, also, Angie is wearing a leather dress. She sounds fantastic, but now that Jimmy has mentioned it, she is making pageant faces at the camera. The judges all adore her. Nicki calls her flawless. They must reeeaaallllyyy  want a female winner this year.

Cute Paul time! Jimmy tells him this isn't Les Mis, aka he's over-singing. Unfortunately, Paul chooses another song covered by #oldladyvote. It's that Amazed song that was everywhere in the early 2000s. Gawd, I hated this song. And it's soooo overdone. But Paul is still really cute, so he's getting a free pass around here no matter what. Really though, he sounds pretty good, even if the song sucks. The judges are all very complimentary, and they note that he took constructive criticism, and then miraculously, Mariah offers more constructive criticism. He's definitely safe this week, the teenage girls will eat this up. (As will Lindsay and me.)

Candice is up next. She's doing I Have Nothing, which was the one Jordin Sparks KILLED in season 6. I actually just watched it last week, it's one of my favorite performances by anyone on this show, and it's still amazing. (That was the same week the girl cried over Sanjaya, remember? And Blake was super sexy.) Anyway, this has a lot of potential, and it completely exceeds it. The song was already dead, and now it's even more dead. Seriously, I can't even write anything, it was so good. The judges all give her a well-deserved standing ovation.

Aw, Lazaro. He's singing Breakaway, by the original Idol Kelly. I'm glad someone finally picked a song that wasn't a cover, even if it's not even in my top 10 of Kelly's songs. It was just ok, and probably not the best song choice for him, which the judges all agree with.

Time for Kree! She's singing Crying, which Carrie covered. She sounds beautiful, as per usual. Keith falls all over her and calls her baby. Nicki, I think, compares her to waffles and syrup. Randy and Mariah also love her. I'd be ok with a Candice/Kree finale.

Two people left, which means two chances for someone to do Cookster's version of Always Be My Baby. Burnell is next, and he's doing Flying Without Wings, Ruben's coronation song. Really? Of all of the songs people on this show have sung? I would've preferred him to sing Sorry 2004, but I guess we can't all win. Gawd, this song is sooooo boring. And it's not even good. And he doesn't sound that great either. Blah. The judges all bite their tongues and dance around any sort of real criticism. Also, there was so much fog it's still lingering around the judges. Cue a Pope joke.

Amber is in the pimp spot, which is a little surprising. She must have a good song... and it's A Moment Like This. Don't get me wrong, I have been known to belt this song now and again in my car, but of all of Kelly's songs, is that really the one you want to choose? Anyway. She's literally on a platform with a wind machine and spotlights. And I covet her outfit. She sings it beautifully, but I'm not jumping out of my chair. The judges give her the second standing O of the night. Nicki erroneously calls it the best performance of the night - did you forget Candice already?!?! Or Kree?

So that's our top 10! There was no one that was outright terrible. My top 3 would be Candice, Kree, and Angie. I think Devin or Curtis could be in danger. Lindsay will guide you through the results tomorrow night! Till then!

No comments: