Tuesday, March 25, 2008

You say it's your birthday...

First of all, congrats to my boys, the Pittsburgh Penguins, for clinching a playoff berth and distancing themselves further from the New Jersey Devils for the division lead!!! I could go on, but this isn't a hockey blog. I'll leave that to Seth at Empty Netters and the boys at The Pensblog.

Burning questions from tonight’s episode: Ramiele liked to bite people? Is David A. losing momentum? Was that Sara Ramirez from Grey’s Anatomy in the audience? Can David C. actually win this thing? And what the F was Paula wearing?!

Each of the contestants are singing a song from the year in which they were born, which makes me feel really old.

Ramiele is leading off, singing Heart’s “Alone.” Ladies of American Idol, I beg you to retire this song for these reasons: a) it’s an awesome song, and very few people can come close to the original, and b) that one contestant who could sang the crap out of it a few seasons back, and everyone watching this show is thinking of her while you’re singing. Ramiele apparently didn’t get the memo. Little tiny parts of the song aren’t terrible, but overall it’s a trainwreck. Apparently she’s sick. I don’t care.

Happy birthday, Jason! I feel like Jason peaked way too early, and nothing is going to live up to his semifinals performances. He sings “Fragile,” by Sting, which I’ve never heard before tonight. It was kind of boring but he’s obviously back in his element. I have a note that he should enunciate more, but then Randy says something about Spanish… was he speaking Spanish? I really couldn’t tell, because he was mumbling through the entire song. It’s ok, but I’m not overly impressed.

Dear Syesha, stop doing the baby cry. Thank you. She sings “If I Were Your Woman” and absolutely nails it. I think she’s certainly got talent and can potentially stick around for awhile. I’m not motivated to vote for her though, and that lack of connection will be her eventual downfall.

Chekezie sings “If Only For One Night,” another song I’m not familiar with. He sounds good, but it’s a really boring song. I’m worried about him, and I want him to stick around so we can see his mom a few more times!

My girl Brooke tells us she learned the piano by ear. Wow. Do you guys realize how hard that is?? I took like six years of lessons and still suck. She tackles “Every Breath You Take,” and the first part is gorgeous – just her and the piano. But then the band kicks in halfway through, and it just doesn’t click. I agree with Simon and Randy – had she continued alone, it would have been gorgeous. She’s not in any danger though. Woo!

I’m really not sure where to start with Michael. On one hand, his medley of songs featured in the Mighty Ducks movies (a.k.a. “We Will Rock You” and “We Are the Champions”) was kind of awesome. On the other hand, it was totally cheesy. But on the first hand, he looked like he was actually having fun again. But on the other hand, I felt like I was at the Super Bowl. I think I’ll concede that it was kind of a “so bad it’s good” instance, and I think Michael is safe for another week.

Carly sings one of my favorites, “Total Eclipse of the Heart.” This is the first time I’ve actually really enjoyed one of her performances. I completely disagree with the judges, and I think she is superb. I do agree that the last few notes were off, but overall it was a solid performance. Again, not motivated enough to vote for her though.

Oh, Little David. I cry a little when he says he was born in 1990, and I cry a little more when he sings one of the worst songs the Idol stage has ever seen. Guys, it was TERRIBLE. The song was awful, his awkward dancing was awful, and he was off-pitch more often than not. Obviously he’s not going anywhere, but I really think he’d be better off co-headlining a tour with Hannah Montana & Zac Efron.

Our arch-nemesis, Kristy Lee, is next singing “God Bless the USA.” It’s another cheesy song with cheesy American flag graphics, but surprisingly it’s not the worst performance of the night. I refuse to waste any more words on her though.

And it’s up to David C. to close out the show. Guys, I think I really like him. Like, really really like him. I still have to kind of close my eyes when he performs, because I feel almost as dirty watching him as I do watching “Rock of Love,” but his version of “Billie Jean” tonight is AWESOME. It’s the only performance of the night that I’ll remember in a few days. I may actually download it from iTunes. And he may actually have a chance of winning this thing. If in late May, we’re watching him sing whatever terrible song won the songwriting contest this year while confetti is raining down, remember that on March 25, at 9:25 pm, I received this text message from Lindsay: “He is going to win.”

So there you have it, folks. I think the bottom three will be Ramiele, Chekezie, and Jason. I hate to say it, but I think Kristy Lee will get enough patriotic/sympathy votes to stay above the bubble this week.

Lindsay is back tomorrow with another round of Idol Madness, as well as the results recap!

No comments: