Tuesday, March 31, 2009

1.5 hours to kill before The Osbournes

Wow, here's a shocker, guys! The Idols appeared on Seacrest's radio show this week. I'm shocked - appalled! - at the blatant product placement. Oh who am I kidding. Let's get this iTunes commercial - I mean American Idol - started. Linds & I were under the impression that tonight was the Top 100 iTunes downloads from last week, but it doesn't look like that's the case... meaning, sadly, I don't think anyone is doing I'm On A Boat or Lady Gaga.

Snoop Anoop is up first! He's singing "Caught Up" by Ursher. God, I have high hopes for this and... well, first of all, let's talk about Anoop's drunk fraternity brothers in the audience. They are awesome. But anyways, Anoop is a great performer and I generally enjoy it, but I think his vocals were a little bit weak. He just didn't blow me away like he did the last two weeks. Good to see that in the spirit of Easter, Paula has worn a necklace made of jelly beans. The judges aren't too fond of it (Anoop, not Paula's necklace), and Anoop's friends are just wondering when they can go back to the hotel and do more beer bongs.

Megan is singing "Turn Your Lights Down Low," by Bob Marley/Lauryn Hill. Way to aim low, Megan. What is around her neck? It's like 800 necklaces and apparently the top of her shirt is made of chainmail. I'm completely bored by this song. She could've rocked some Amy Winehouse or Duffy or Joss Stone and redeemed herself after a few terrible weeks, but instead we get another terrible week in the Megan repetoire. The judges basically tell her that she bored them to tears, and then they repeat everything I had just written. (Literally. Randy name-dropped both Amy and Duffy.)

So right after a commercial for David Cook's new video, we get Danny Gokey, reminding me of how much he is NOT the Cookster. And oh nooooo, he is singing what honestly may be one of my top 5 least favorite songs EVER, "What Hurts The Most," by Rascal effing Flatts. Yikes, he sounds like he's shouting the high notes and the last note sort of goes all over the place. But the moms and the scary girls in the audience (Paula included) apparently love him. Simon calls it his best performance of the season, which I completely disagree with.

Allison is up next and she's doing "Don't Speak," which may be one of my top 5 favorite songs ever. Allison claims she grew up listening to this song. I think I was a sophomore in high school when it came out and I think Allison was maybe 3 then. (Wikipedia confirms - Tragic Kingdom came out in 1995, and Allison was born in 1992.) All around, it's pretty awesome, her ridiculous outfit and hair aside. The judges treat her hair and outfit like it's Sanjaya up there and fail to mention how kick ass the song was. Whatev, judges.

Let me repeat: I CAN NOT WAIT FOR GLEE. THEY JUST SANG DON'T STOP BELIEVIN' IN THE COMMERCIAL.

Scott is singing "Just the Way You Are," by the one and only Billy Joel, making me hate it already, because I love me some Billy Joel. River of Dreams Tour - my first concert. Anyways, it's all fine. Basically the same thing we've come to expect from Scott every single week. It's certainly not Billy Joel. Also, what is up with Scott's fro tonight?!

Matt is singing The Fray, so wake me up when it's over. Seriously, their songs are soooo boring. He's doing "You Found Me," at a keyboard in the middle of the mosh pit. WTF? Dude should've done "Cry Me a River." Eh, I suppose it's ok, but I'm really disappointed in his song choice when he had so many better ones to choose from. I'm a little worried about him this week, especially since he was in the bottom 2 last week.

Up next is Lil, who apparently thought long and hard about song choice and came up with... "Surrender." I love her hair this week! But the song is flat and screamy the entire way through and really not good at all. Oooh, her adorable kids are there tonight! Wearing adorable madras shorts! Again, terrible song choice. I'm with the judges that she should've picked a more contemporary R&B song. I am not with the judges that she performed well though. Are they distorting the sound for us TV viewers tonight?

Oh, goodie. Adam is doing "Play That Funky Music." I so wish he'd put on a blond wig and done some "Poker Face." Be prepared, people. I am actually going to give Adam a compliment. I really like this arrangement. I am still not going to say I like him, because I don't, but this is the first performance where I can actually understand why people like him. Paula then compares him to Mick Jagger and Steven Tyler. WHAAT?! Anyways, yeah, it was good, but I'm still not on board the Adam Lambert train. Hell, I'm not even at the station.

And in the pimp spot is Kris, this week taking on "Ain't No Sunshine." I'm praying he doesn't F it up. And...... WOW. That was spectacular. The arrangement was beautiful, and wow, who knew Kris had any soul. I already have this song downloaded but may need to get that version too. But wtf, judges? They definitely liked it, but earlier in the night they fell all over Danny Gokey's terrible song and with this one, they're just like, "Good job"?!

I'm worried for Anoop and Matt this week... they were just not up to par. Megan definitely deserves to go, and Scott may have saved himself with an average performance. Tomorrow we get the results AND David Cook AND Lady Gaga. I am thrilled to blog for you. See you then!

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

I hated Gokey and Lil. I think Adam may be climbing aboard the Lambert train...lmao. Kris totally wins. GLLLLLEEEEEE!!!!

Shana said...

I'm totally on board the Lambert train!! I choo choo choose him! :)

Oh, and so is my mama and Micah a little too. Although he would never admit in public! ;)

rlk7m said...

I refuse to board the Lambert train. Watch me walk in the opposite direction of wherever it's traveling...