Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Talkin' bout crazy cool medallions

I don't understand why Idol attempts disco almost every year. This is absolutely the most dated genre in all of music (seriously, even swing music has made a comeback) and yet even as the judges complain about someone not being "contemporary" they make them sing music from Abba and the Bee Gees.

Top 7 again this week. Since Matt was saved, 2 people go home this week. No intros, they jump right into Lil taking on "I'm Every Woman," continuing her quest to pick songs way too big for her every week. Side note: Lil's hair looks fabulous, but someone should tell her no woman - not even EVERY WOMAN - should wear a lycra leotard unless they're in the Fame remake. The performance is all fine, but not great, much as it's been with Lil for the past 5 weeks. The judges all agree, and some BS about Lil's inner goddess will make the show run over as usual.

Kris tackles an acoustic version of "She Works Hard For the Money," and it actually totally works. I think it's the first time on this show that I haven't found this song incredibly cheesy. Paula completely embarrasses everyone in the room by talking about Kris shopping in the women's department, an analogy that goes on waaaay too long, but basically they all love it, as do I. And guys? I actually think Kris might have a shot at winning this thing.

Danny is singing "September" by Earth Wind & Fire, and I go, oh this song. It's every bit as obnoxious as I'd imagined it would be, but at least he's not wearing a fake fro or dancing (too much). Oh wait, I spoke too soon. There's the dancing. His voice sounded good, as usual, but there was nothing original about it whatsoever. The judges are all over it though, of course, because they're contractually obligated to pimp him.

Allison is sassing out to "Hot Stuff" in some pleather/bedazzled contraption. And, let me tell you, it's hot. I feel a little awkward watching a 16-year-old sing that. The arrangement sounds a little like if Marilyn Manson and Gwen Stefani did a mashup, and unlike the judges, I mostly love it. Another side note: I love watching Simon when Paula is talking, because he looks thoroughly confused. The end of the night recap reminds me how much I loved this performance, and I just might need to download it tomorrow.

Adam Lambert is up next, doing "If I Can't Have You." Figures, the one week his crazy shit would actually work, he's slowing it down. Can I be honest? This sounds like the big romantic moment of a Broadway musical version of Saturday Night Fever. It's all good, as usual, but I just don't connect with him, even if Kara and Paula do. OMG, Simon is HILARIOUS when Paula is a mess and even more so when he tells Adam he thought he'd do some Donna Summer. Also, fun fact: LFO apparently did a remake of this song. Wiki told me so.

And finally, the first Bee Gees song of the evening ("Stayin Alive"), brought to you by Matt. I think he borrowed this jacket from Clay's season 2 Bee Gees night. Evidence here. (I also apparently referenced this jacket in the blog last year. It must've made quite an impression on me.) It sounds to me like he's trying a little too hard. The judges mostly love it, which surprises me a little. It was fun, but not memorable at all, and tonight was the first time I thought Matt was trying to be a little too much JT. He's Barry F'in Gibb!

Anoop closes the show with "Dim All The Lights," and it's pretty rough. He sounds like he's straining himself during the entire song, and generally it's a really boring song. Again, should've gone up tempo. Kara is on crack, claiming that the last two weeks have been Anoop's best performances. Um, Kara, not at all. I wasn't a fan, and you know I'm a huge Anoop fan. At least he looks good.

Unfortunately, I think it's the real end of the road for either Matt or Anoop this week, and based on tonight my money's on Anoop. I think Lil will join him exiting this week, finally. Lindsay will handle tomorrow's results show... till then, GO PENS!

No comments: