Monday, April 21, 2008

Come on along and listen to the lullaby of Broadway...

Hello, faithful readers! Ready for Broadway week? Man, I am. I was in Greece the last time the Idols attempted to sing songs from the Great White Way and am still disappointed I missed it. Unfortunately, this time around the Idols are limited to the music of Andrew Lloyd Weber. While he’s got one heck of a songbook, his songs are hard, and it concerns me a little bit… but hopefully these Idols will rise to the challenge! I’m here today to suggest what songs the Idols should sing, and in some cases guess what they will sing. I’m keeping my fingers crossed for an excellent night of performances!

Let’s start with the Cookster. (I’ve been waiting for KLC to get the boot so I can start calling David C. the Cookster. I think it suits him, and I’m sick of having two Davids around.) This is the primary case of me wanting a selection outside the ALW library, because David would absolutely kill “One Song Glory” from Rent. And I mean kill it, making Brenna a puddle on the ground because he would sing the crap out of an already amazing song. Unfortunately that won’t happen this time around, but let me offer the Cookster two suggestions: first, please don’t rearrange anything. Just sing it as it is. And second, give “Music of the Night” from Phantom a shot, and thank me later. He’s just sinister enough to pull it off.

This night is made for David #2. He’s got a quintessential musical theatre voice and will likely sound fantastic in whatever he chooses. I’m guessing it will be either “Close Every Door” or “Any Dream Will Do” from Joseph & the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. My money is on the latter, cuz we know David likes to sing about dreams and puppies and crap like that.

My money is on Syesha to pick “Memory” from Cats, one of ALW’s biggest and most well-known songs, but I’d prefer to give it to Carly. Carly needs to soften up a bit, show some vulnerability, and I think “Memory” might be the trick for her. I’d love to see Syesha do something more upbeat for once. How about “Buenos Aires” from Evita?

I’ve been having trouble with Brooke. Many musical theatre songs are written for BIG voices, which she just doesn’t have. If it wasn’t ALW specific, I’d have suggested a stripped down version of “On My Own” from Les Miserables, but instead I’m going to toss her “Another Suitcase in Another Hall,” also from Evita. I just don’t want her to smile through the whole song, a la “Jolene” a few weeks back. With the right approach, though, Brooke + a guitar + this song could be just what she needs to get back on top her A game.

And finally, Jason may have the toughest time with this genre. Big orchestral numbers typically don’t translate well to the coffee house, but how about “Unexpected Song” from Song & Dance? I could see this one with an acoustic vibe.

Well, we’ll see what happens tomorrow. This week could either be amazing or a trainwreck… either way, I’ll be here to tell you all about it!

No comments: