Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Idol Madness: Kat vs. Ruuuuuuuuuuuben

Meatloaf with Katharine McPhee - It's All Coming Back To Me
VS.
Ruuuuuuuuuuben Studdard – Sorry 2004

Brenna here with the final match up of Idol Madness, round 1. Sorry for being a blog delinquent this week, kids. I promise round 2 won’t take nearly as much time!

Let me begin by clarifying. As Lindsay said yesterday, we are talking worst performances. We’re also bending the rules a bit on this one. These two performances meant nothing to the competition – Katharine’s coming in the season 5 finale, and Ruuuuuuuuuuben’s being his first single after being crowned season 2 Idol. But if we’re looking at the worst performances in Idol history, you’ve got to include these two.

The season 5 finale was a hot mess. You had the Soul Patrol, and Mary J. Blige practically pushing Elliott off the stage during their “duet,” the Hoff crying in the audience, but nothing compared to the strange spectacle that was Katharine’s duet with Meatloaf. First of all, how did Katharine pull that straw? I know Meatloaf is a legend and all, but really? Meatloaf? And Katharine? The whole time it looks like Meatloaf wants to eat Kat, and Kat’s doing this diva bullshit, and I realize Meatloaf had medical problems or something but he’s shaking and offkey the whole time, and am I supposed to believe that Kat was in love with Meatloaf? Guys, it was just WEIRD. Like, train wreck weird.

Then you have Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuben. I admit, I was a Claymate in season 2 and was pissed when Ruuuuuuuuuuuben won, but I will tell you right now Ruuuuuuuuuuuuben has an amazing voice and he deserved to win. He did not deserve this song. This song with R. Kelly-level terrible lyrics, like “It's like I forgot your gift, on 02 14 03. (Damn. So sorry!)” This song where Ruuuuuuuuuuben is apologizing for hanging out in strip clubs and hot tubs and for THE ENTIRE YEAR 2004. Ruuuuuuuuuuben, how about saying you’re sorry for “Sorry 2004”? Please?

As bad as Ruuuuuuuuuuuben’s song was, I suppose the performance itself isn’t that awful, so I have to give him a pass. Meatloaf and Katharine, we’ll do anything for love, but we won’t do that. You’re through to the next round.

I promise the Idol bracket will be updated tomorrow and posted for those needing visual aid. I’ve been distracted by finding things like this on youtube.

No comments: